Monday 14 March 2011

Thorntons - Milk Chocolate with Pistachio

Time is against me this evening! However, there is still time to taste another chocolate block from Thorntons. On this occasion we're moving up from bronze, missing out silver altogether and heading straight to gold! Who likes coming second anyway. This chocolate was awarded by The Guild of Fine Food in 2009. Thorntons also had another gold award that year for their 'Milk Chocolate Strawberry' bar. 


To quote directly from their website, "The Guild was formed in 1995 with a mission to create close links between suppliers and retailers in the independent food sector. With over 1300 members across the UK, it communicates to retailers, producers and suppliers through the ‘industry voice’, Fine Food Digest magazine. Through its unique membership database of accredited suppliers, it identifies thousands of speciality food lines available exclusively to the independent sector, enabling retail members to establish a point of difference between themselves and the supermarkets.

In 1996, the Guild launched the London Speciality & Fine Food Fair and it continues to organise exhibitions in Yorkshire and Scotland under the banner of Speciality Food Fairs. 
Since 1993 the Guild has organised the Great Taste Awards, the national benchmark for speciality food and drink, which attracts over 4500 entries each year. The GTA has gained widespread recognition among the country’s retailers and consumers and is now seen as the benchmark for fine food in the UK". To read more about The Guild click here.


Once again Thorntons have presented this bar in an eye catching colour, pistachio green and is described as a melt-in-the-mouth creamy chocolate from Madagascar. The chocolate has been given an extra crunch with slightly salted pieces of roasted pistachio. 




The Chocolate: This is a milk chocolate from Madagascar with a 32% cocoa content. The chocolate melts quickly and works well with the salted pistachio nuts. For me it's a bit too sweet and sickly and the pistachio nuts are few and far between. Personally I think pistachio nuts should accompany a gin and tonic or a cool glass of lager, not chocolate. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with me on that one.




For me the chocolate should have been of a higher cocoa content with slightly more pistachio nuts to provide greater crunchiness. So far the Dark Chocolate with Macadamia nuts scores above this and it only received a bronze? Sorry Thorntons this chocolate doesn't quite make it out of the blocks for me and I can only award it a slightly nutty 5/10. Good value for money though, 3 bars for £5.00.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine
    Thanks once again for a nicely written review. I almost one hundred percent agree with all of your conclusions too..... but.....
    Just one thing I would like to say, if I may?
    I'm promoting Thorntons Chocolate here in Prague and I'm very proud to be doing so, but I digress.
    Isn't it so much fun that people have different opinions on everything?
    We have twenty one different Thorntons Chocolate Blocks available here and I'll give you three guesses as to which is the best seller ;)
    Kind regards
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew somebody would like it more than me. Didn't think a whole city would out vote me though :) Thanks for the comment. Christine

    ReplyDelete