Wednesday 27 April 2011

Double Choc Chip Cookies

To date I've completed 100 reviews of various chocolate bars and chocolate related matters. So, it is ironic and not without some trepidation that my next review should be a Weight Watchers chocolate product. Well it does have chocolate in it so I think I can include it in this blog. I'm sure we've all heard of Weight Watchers and many of you are probably visiting a weekly 'weigh in' as I write this review. I have to admit that my last visit was probably over 20 years ago and I possibly still have their record book somewhere.


Until now I hadn't realized that it is a global business with Weight Watchers in a variety of countries. Even though I have a good friend who works for them I didn't realise that the company originated from the United States, New York, to be exact over 45 years ago. I always thought it was an English company! According to their website they are the leading weight loss experts teaching people how to lose weight and keep it off. Maintaining the motivation and desire to keep that weight off has always been my Achilles heel. For some people it probably has become a way of life continually controlling calorie intake and worrying about fat content, etc, etc. That's probably why their weekly meetings have been the basis of their initial success as a company. Bringing like minded people together with a common aim to lose those inches without resorting to drastic surgery!


I imagine their points system came about at one of those Eureka moments. It is a simple to understand system which doesn't require the person to have A-Level maths to work out how to use it. The points system has been upgraded recently to ProPoints. To quote, "The ProPoints plan is our most flexible and liveable plan ever, designed to fit around real life - your life - so that weight loss becomes part of your day-to-day routine."


Ok, enough about the company let's taste some of their product. 




The Choc Chip Cookie: The pack contains 6 x 19g packs and each pack contains two cookies. Each serving (2 cookies) contains 87 calories, 4.4g of sugar, 3.5g fat, 0,9g of saturates and 0.2g salt. A pack of 2 cookies equates to 2 Propoints.
Weight Watchers - Double Choc Chip Cookies
I will not list all the ingredients but the main ones are Wheat Flour; Oat Flakes; Vegetable Oils; Sugar and Chocolate Chips. This product is suitable for vegetarians and is a source of fibre. The cookies are crunchy, very light and considerably different to the cookies I'm used to eating! There is definitely not a lot of chocolate which I suppose you would expect. Unfortunately, it is missing that all important magical ingredient we call flavour. The oats and wheat provide a good texture but this is quickly followed by a strange after taste that I can't get to the bottom of. It is quite off putting and I'm struggling to eat a whole biscuit. On the plus side you have six handy size snacks that can be eaten any time of the day. Unfortunately, this Weight Watchers product is not for me.


The Weight Watchers Cookie range offers five other delicious flavours for you to choose from including Double Choc Chip, Ginger and Lemon, Oat Digestive, Cranberry & Orange and Toffee. They have a RRP of £1.09 and are available from a variety of stores - Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and Waitrose. This product may not have been to my liking but their website is full of useful information including recipes, fitness and health, how to find your nearest meeting place, prices and lots lots more.  To visit their site click here.


The diet will not be starting just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment