A straightforward, quick recipe and a great way to use up bananas that look more black than yellow. I've tweaked this recipe with a little added milk chocolate to compliment the orange.
3 ripe bananas
8 oz/250g self raising flour
1 oz/25g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
5 oz/140g soft brown sugar
3 oz/75g soft margarine
1 orange and zest and 1/2 for juice
2 tbsp marmalade
4 oz/100g dark chocolate
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with a strip of greaseproof paper
- Peel and mash bananas
- Beat in flour, almonds, baking powder, sugar, margarine and eggs until well blended
- Add the orange zest and juice and the chocolate and mix well
- Pour into loaf tin and bake at 160 degrees C Fan/Gas Mark 4 for 55 minutes.
- Remove and brush with marmalade and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Check that the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre which should come out clean if fully cooked.
- Allow to cool in the tin
The zesty orange and tangy marmalade work really well with the milk chocolate...one slice is not sufficient!