Saturday 24 September 2011

Choklad Mork 70%

A trip to IKEA, Lakeside, for some light equipment for my business finished with a walk round their Swedish food section which seems to be getting bigger and bigger each time I go there, as demand for Swedish food increases. The restaurant was actually busier than the rest of the store as the good people of Essex lapped up the special Meat Ball offer!  To my surprise I found some huge bars of IKEA chocolate at what I might call crazy prices. 




Well, for once I purchased something from IKEA that came as a flat pack but didn't actually require any instructions or DIY. Just coordination, hands and a mouth required for this task which made a pleasant change. 




The Chocolate: Well, what can I tell you?  This is a dark chocolate with a 70% cocoa content and that's about all the information there is, pretty much like the information they provide with their flat packs....ok I jest,  I've always found them very helpful. Fortunately, my Mechanical Engineering degree comes in useful sometimes!  


Flat Pack Version
Ok, let's examine this offering further.  Certified by UTZ which is one of the largest sustainability programs for coffee, cocoa and tea in the world. Brands that have committed themselves to the sourcing of UTZ certified raw materials are global market leaders.  These are just some of the companies that are included in their list: Heinz, Dunn Bros Coffee, Mars Chocolate, Nestle and of course IKEA.  The bar itself is produced in Spain for IKEA.


Apologies for the drab brown theme today!  

The outer packaging is a bit flimsy and the bar has taken a bit of a knock.  The bar is well made having a bright and shiny appearance. It also has a good snap!  The aroma from this bar is of strong tobacco. The high cocoa content gives a chalky but, not too dry mouth feel to this bar.  The strong initial aroma does not follow through into the flavour and it doesn't really develop further which is a bit of a shame.  There are certainly hints of fruit but I'd like a bit more.

What amazes me about this product is the price.  In these harsh economic times how do they manage to sell this for £0.95.  At these prices you can't really go wrong.  So, 9/10 for value for money and 6/10 for flavour.  Certainly a good tasting bar of dark chocolate at a most incredible price!  

You'll probably never hear me say this again but, I'm going back in for more Swedish chocolate flat packs. To view IKEA Food click here.

Posted by Richard.

7 comments:

  1. Yummy! I will try and get this!

    Chewie from
    kubeen81.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chewie, well worth a try. Let me know what you think. I have two milk bars from their range to try so will be reviewing these later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realised that Ikea had a food range! Hmmmm i may have to have a look into this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, when I say food range I'm not going to be doing my weekly shop at IKEA. However, they do have a great range of coffee and other interesting bits. Certainly more interesting than shelving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are heading to Ikea this Thursday, will have to see if they have these chocolate bars, haven't noticed them before. With Christmas coming fast these will be great addition to my baking chocolate requirements I think. Have you baked with them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments.....I haven't done any baking with it yet but I imagine it would be ideal. I will try it next time I make some Chilli Con Carne.

    ReplyDelete