You will be the baking goddess and the envy of your friends when you've made this unctuous butter cream cherry sponge . Plus, you'll also save an absolute fortune! Have you seen how much afternoon tea costs at The Ritz these days. That's not to say I wouldn't mind going if somebody wanted to take me there....hint, hint!
Ingredients: Cake Mix
- 4 large eggs - weigh the whole eggs and then weigh out equal amounts of: Caster Sugar, Hard Margarine, and Sifted self raising Flour e.g. 400gms of egg would mean 400 gms caster sugar, 400 gms hard margarine and 400gms self raising flour.
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tspn of vanilla extract
- 8oz sifted icing sugar
- 4oz softened butter
- 1 tbspn lemon juice - heated gently in the microwave
- 12 Glace cherries - I used natural cherries
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Jam 100g - your choice of flavour - I used seedless raspberry jam.
- Grease two 7 1/2" sandwich tins and line with greaseproof paper.
- Pre-heat oven to Fan 160/375F/gas mark 5
- In a bowl place the sugar and margarine and beat with a wooden spoon until pale, light and fluffy (or use a mixer)
- Beat in eggs one at a time followed by one tbsp of sifted self raising flour.
- Fold in the remaining flour. The mixture should have a soft 'dropping' consistency basically it should easily fall off the spoon. If it seems a little dry add a couple of tbsp of cold water.
- Divide the mixture between the sandwich tins and bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes. The cakes will be well risen and when a finger tip is pressed lightly in the centre it will spring back.
- Turn out onto a wire cooling rack until cold.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and blend together
- Beat with a wooden spoon until pale, light and fluffy
Assemble your cake
- Place one cake on a plate or board and, using a palette knife spread the jam evently across the cake.
- Take the second half and spread half of the butter cream evenly across the surface.
- Sandwich the cakes together
- Place the remaining butter cream in a piping bag with a large nozzel and pipe 16 whirls on top of the cake. Top Tip: I always pipe North, South, East and West and then pipe two more rosettes between each.
- Place a whole cherry on each rosette
- Finish the cake by liberally sprinkling with sifted icing sugar