Tuesday 12 October 2010

Cardamom Dark - Rococo Organic Dark Chocolate Bar

This is the first bar from Rococo Chocolates to be featured on this blog and I for one am thankful for Chocolate Week for bringing them to my attention again. It's probably because they've been on the chocolate scene for so long. Having read about the 'Blindfolded Chocolate Tasting' that is taking place this Thursday at their new store in Marylebone High Street I thought I'd pay them a quick visit on my way home. 

The store is beautifully appointed and there is a chaotic jumble of chocolate in all shapes and sizes dotted about the shop. Unlike the clinical feel of Hotelchocolat shops this has a warm and nurturing feel to it. I almost expected Chantal Coady to pop up from behind the counter. The traditional blue and white packaging is everywhere and you need to spend a bit of time looking around the shop to take it all in. Fortunately, I was the only person in the shop and the lovely assistant behind the counter was totally engaging and a credit to the Rococo team. Sorry, I didn't notice your name! However, the lady was more than capable in answering my questions and allowed me to taste several small nibbles of chocolate until a decision was made.

The Packaging: The artisan bars are all beautifully decorated and this is a splendid example of what to expect if you pay them a visit. To quote the back of the packaging, "Chantal Coady, Rococo's founder and designer, has created this new look Artisan Bar collection to celebrate Rococo's 4th chocolate decade. The bars are inspired by her birth place Teheran and the Moorish tiles & plants in the secret Marococo garden, hidden behind the flagship store in London's Belgravia."



The Chocolate: Cardamom is not to everybody's taste so ask for a sample before you buy. Cardamom has a strong, unique taste with an intensely aromatic flavour and this is what engulfs you as you open the packaging. The chocolate is organic and from Valrhona with a percentage of ethical chocolate sourced from their own Grococo farm in Grenada. The chocolate itself is a glossy brown with a perfect snap. Unfortunately, for me the Cardamom takes a lot away from the chocolate and I'm going to have to try a plain bar to really obtain the true picture of this chocolate. 


It is a delicious bar of chocolate but I suggest you have a few small chunks at a time as the flavours are intense. Overall I give this bar 8/10 for it's unique flavours, outstanding presentation and ethical qualities. At £4.25 for a 70g bar this is expensive and I would recommend you visit one of their stores to sample before you buy. Alternatively spend an hour or so reading their website.

If you'd like to purchase this bark click on the link Cardamom Dark

Posted by Richard.

1 comment:

  1. Very good review. Liked the subjectiveness mixed with objectiveness! I guess it's all down to personal preferences at the end of the day. But cardamom & quality dark choc is generally a marriage made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete