Sunday 31 October 2010

Duffy's Corazon Del Ecuador - Milk Chocolate 43% Revisited

Willy Wonka is on TV and Oompa Loompas are running riot so I thought I would be the opportunity to sit down and do a little chocolate reviewing. 

If you are a regular reader of my blog you will know that I have reviewed this bar a few weeks ago. The issue then related to texture which was caused by organic sugar used in the process of making the bar. So, I was delighted to have another chance to review this bar. Duffy informed me that he has been conching this chocolate for some considerable time to ensure it is absolutely perfect.



To those of you who are new to the complicated world of chocolate conching involves heating the chocolate to high temperatures somewhere between 54-71 C and stirring it continuously until if forms a pure homogenous liquid. During conching important chemical changes take place which help develop the chocolate's flavour. Some chocolate makers like to add Lecithin an emulsifier at this stage of the process. 

The Chocolate: This is an 80g single origin artisan milk chocolate bar made from Ecuadorian Calceta beans. At a 43% cocoa content this milk chocolate is close to becoming a dark chocolate so it should have plenty of flavour. On the surface the bar is beautifully tempered and shiny with a good snap! Ok, so it looks good but how does it taste? Well I'm pleased to say that the grainy texture has all gone and the chocolate is smooth and full of flavour. Duffy it was worth all that hard work! It's perfect! It's unbelievable! It's a miracle! Ok I'll stop quoting Willy Wonka but take my word for it this chocolate is so good.


According to the tasting notes on the bar's wrapper I should be picking up, deep warm flavours with hints of citrus, soft fruit and bananas. For me I'm only picking up rich, sweet cocoa flavours which are very comforting and moorish! I'm annoyed that I can't pick out the banana flavour but oh well. This particular bar contains organic sugar, cocoa beans, cocoa butter and milk powder.


Duffy's Corazon Del Ecuador 43% Milk 
Overall I give this bar 8/10 for flavour and presentation. At £3.50 for an 80g bar this is good value for money. Stock up before Christmas is my suggestion. Duffy's bars can also be found in Harvey Nichols stores around the UK.

To buy this park click on the link Red Star Chocolate


You might also want to read other reviews of Duffy's chocolate


No comments:

Post a Comment